Thursday, April 1, 2010

RTC Guelph


After months of behind the scenes work by Triathlon Canada, Triathlon Ontario, and the Canadian Sport Centre Ontario, I'm happy to announce that beginning today, we are a Triathlon Canada Regional Triathlon Centre (RTC-Guelph). For our squad, it means we now fall under the umbrella of Triathlon Canada's High Performance Program, with great support from our partners OAT and CSC-Ontario. In many ways, very little changes; we're still based at the University of Guelph and I'm still the head coach of the program. I'm confident that OAT's Provincial Triathlon Centre will continue to exist - not as a full time training squad (that will be the RTC program) - but as a vehicle to conduct training days and clinics, camps, coach development and talent ID. Details are currently being ironed out, but I think OAT is well positioned to continue to do great work in those areas.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the OAT Board, OAT Executive Director Linda Kirk, and Alan Fairweather for having the vision to help create the PTC program here, and for their incredible support over the last three years. I'd also like to thank Larry McMahon, Kurt Innes and Alan Trivett from Triathlon Canada, along with Dr. Tom Patrick and Tommy Wharton from the Canadian Sport Centre Ontario, and Linda Kirk and the OAT Board for working together to make the RTC-Guelph a reality.

We've certainly come a long way in a short time, and I've had the immense pleasure to work with some amazing athletes and coaches along the way. We still have three 'original' athletes here who've been with the program since the beginning - although I think Dorelle's concept of proper recovery has improved somewhat since the early days - and we'll be working hard to develop athletes who can represent Canada on the international stage.

For now, I'm going to keep the PTC and RTC blogs separate. My hope (expectation) is that the PTC blog will continue, with some new leadership, and I'll keep the RTC blog rolling with updates, too.

Thanks, and all the best in your training and racing.

CT


No comments: